Friday, June 29, 2007

Anything For A Win

It doesn’t count as a win, yet. It was a game that played out like so many that have slipped away this year: Get a lead, lose a lead, take back the lead and lose it again. But this was different. It was different because, with two on and no outs, Melky Cabrera slammed a double down the left field line. It drove in a run and set up an inning that ultimately turned a two run deficit into a two run lead.

But it isn’t over. Derek Jeter – who always delivers big hits – will be standing on second base when they pick up this game in 28 days. He will probably still be clapping because he knows as well as anyone that this may have been the inning that finally turned the season.

A game that will take nearly a month to finish certainly feels right after all this team has gone through. “Yeah,” said someone on the 2 train this morning. “I feel good, but not too good because it’s not over. I’ve got to sweat that one out for a month. I hope tonight’s game is shorter.”

They thought for a moment and added, “I don’t really care how long they take or how hard it rains. I’ll do anything for a win.”

4 comments:

albertsonmets said...

But it isn’t over. Derek Jeter – who always delivers big hits – will be standing on second base when they pick up this game in 28 days. He will probably still be clapping because he knows as well as anyone that this may have been the inning that finally turned the season.


Bwahahahahaha.
I guess someone forgot to tell the Oakland A's.
Captain Intangibles may well still be clapping, but only because he's a fucking moron.
Ballgame over!
Season over!
Yankees lose!
Tttthhhhhhhhe Yankees Lose!

Todd Drew said...

Albertsonmets,
I’m not sure what you are trying to accomplish. My friend Marcus who lives on Walton Avenue asked me to remove your comment because he thinks your name will lead people to believe you are a Mets fan and it is embarrassing to him as a Mets fan.

After a discussion over coffee we have decided to let you comments speak for themselves with the understanding that you are clearly not a Mets fan or a fan of much other than your own anger and hate.

If any other Mets fans would like this removed, just email me and I will take it down.

The Bronx offers its apologies to Queens.

albertsonmets said...

Todd,
Call me unoriginal, even immature, unimaginative etc. for my use of profanity on your endlessly amusing little corner of the blogosphere.
But labeling it "hate speech" makes you sound a tad hysterical, don't you think?
Enjoy watching your $200 million steroid-fueled bunch of phonies finish out of the post season. I know I will.

Todd Drew said...

Albertsonmets,
There is nothing hysterical about hate.