Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Blogs And Street Corners

Blogs are poor excuses for street corners.

I was reminded of that by my friend Javier. “Some of you bloggers are worse than (Mike) Lupica,” he said standing outside the market near the corner of Gerard Avenue and 157th Street. “At least Lupica comes to the ballpark, sometimes.”

I countered: “But blogs can create discussion.”

“That’s a good thing,” Javier agreed, “but what kind of discussion is it? It seems to be mostly people without much courage. You know, a bunch of internet tough guys that want to tell everyone how smart they are.

“That’s not discussion,” he continued. “It’s more like yelling or horn honking. Most of the people that comment on blogs probably drive cars and would turn into my crosswalk and honk because they think they’re more important than me. And of course they’d never get out of their car in my neighborhood.

“They beat up on A-Rod and Jason (Giambi) and Joe Torre,” Javier went on. “No one beats on those guys out here. If you don’t have the guts to discuss it on the street then you shouldn’t write it online.”

Words to blog by.

No comments: