Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Promise

News comes in papers and on the radio and sometimes it scrolls across the bottom of television screens. Promise comes in the wind.

It has swirled into the Bronx from places like Mission Viejo, California and Lincoln, Nebraska and Huntington Beach, California.

“I love the kids,” says Jon from Highbridge. “They have cannons for right arms and all the talent in the world.”

Phil Hughes and Joba Chamberlain and Ian Kennedy are the talk of the neighborhood even as newspaper columns and radio shows and blogs buzz with plans to trade them.

“I don’t want them going anywhere,” Jon explains. “I know it can happen, but I hope we get the chance to see them grow.”

And there’s more on the way.

“Humberto Sanchez,” Jon smiles. “He’s a Bronx kid and I can’t wait to see him. I know he’s recovering from surgery, but he might be able to help later in the year. And wouldn’t it be something if he had a chance to start the first Opening Day in the new Stadium?”

Now that’s promise.

2 comments:

Henry said...

It will be interesting to see how Sanchez comes back from Tommy John surgery. I hope they still view him as a starter although he could be a great reliever with his stuff.

Larry Jaffe said...

Promises are like dreams, not everyone has em or keeps em.