Tuesday, March 25, 2008

What’s Really Important

Rodrigo had a good feeling when he woke up this morning. He untwisted the kinks from his neck and stretched his back before ripping into a day-old bagel as he headed down five flights to Jerome Avenue.

He cut up East 164th Street and then walked along River Avenue passed the construction of the new Yankee Stadium and down the stairs to the subway near the bleachers of the old Yankee Stadium.

Rodrigo was waiting for a downtown D train when someone mentioned that Andy Pettitte’s back was improving.

“Great news,” Rodrigo said.

Another person pointed out that Pettitte is going to be pushed back in the rotation and probably won’t start until game three or four.

“That’s not a big deal,” Rodrigo said. “I’m just happy that he’s feeling better.”

Rodrigo’s job – a bricklayer’s apprentice – often leaves him stiff and sore.

“I can deal with my own aches and pains,” he said. “I just want to make sure that my ballplayers are feeling good. That’s what’s really important.”

4 comments:

Donna said...

I love a man who knows what is really important.

Ron W. said...

The Yankees have five good starters so I’m not too hung up on the order.

Olivia said...

I have tickets for Friday night so I may get to see Andy’s start. I wouldn’t mind seeing Hughes either. Actually I can’t wait to see all the guys. Go Yankees!

Pete said...

Pettitte is going to be very important so it’s better to get him healthy now.