Friday, April 20, 2007

Anything Is Possible

I cracked my hands clapping and cracked my voice cheering. I pulled something in my back when the ball jumped off A-Rod’s bat and I hugged a group of English soccer fans who were my neighbors for the afternoon.

It turned out to be one heck of day.

Many called it an improbable comeback, but nothing is really improbable in baseball. The nearly impossible is always foremost in my mind. I was reminded of that before yesterday’s game when someone tapped me on the shoulder. It was my neighbors from Chelsea, England.

“So what are the rules?”

I was stunned for a moment. I have played and watched baseball all my life. I have actually read the rulebook cover-to-cover several times, but explaining it was harder than I imagined.

I started with the theory that a baseball game could last forever. It’s improbable, but certainly possible. Just like scoring six runs with two outs in the ninth inning to win.

The interesting thing is that I honestly never imagined another fate. I have never given up on a game until the last out. Ever. My English buddies picked up on that and were on their feet for the rally. They were cheering like South Bronx natives by the time A-Rod’s blast landed.

“Bloody, great game! You Yanks can really play ‘em!”

Yes.

No comments: