Sunday, April 6, 2008

Everybody Loves Derek

Keisha wanted the perfect souvenir from her first Yankee game of the year. After the last out she rushed down from the upper deck and staked out a spot near the players’ gate.

“I’m looking for Derek Jeter,” Keisha said. “My grandmother gave me a camera for my birthday and I told her that I was going to get a picture of Derek. She said ‘Get me one, too.’”

Everybody loves Derek.

“My mother and sister will also want one,” Keisha explained. “And so will all the kids at school even though they tease me about Derek being ‘my boyfriend.’

“I may not get an autograph,” she continued. “Of course, a kiss would be too much to hope for, but I want a picture to show off.”

Jeter was one of the last to leave yesterday, but a huge roar went up as soon as he emerged from the Stadium. He flashed a quick smile and waved to the crowd as he always does.

Keisha zoomed in and pushed the button. The digital image popped up on a little screen as Jeter disappeared into the parking lot.

“He’s waving at me,” she screamed. “I can’t believe Derek is waving at me in this picture.”

Jeter was already long gone, but Keisha yelled:

“I love you Derek!”

Perfect.

2 comments:

Donna said...

That sounds like a great souvenir! I am so glad she got the picture. Hopefully, the Yankees can get a win today.

Olivia said...

Derek is quite a charmer.