Thursday, April 10, 2008

Something Different

Some good news from a bad night in Kansas City brightened the mood around Juan Carlos’s coffee cart this morning.

“So much was riding on Jorge Posada’s throwing shoulder,” explained Javier from Walton Avenue. “I was very happy when they said it was nothing serious and that he will only miss a few days. It was almost like we’d won the game.”

But the Yankees lost to the Royals and manager Joe Girardi started reliever Brian Bruney because he feared losing starter Ian Kennedy – who ended up pitching the last three innings – to an early rain delay.

“The game had a strange feel,” Javier said. “The weather and field conditions worried me all night. I’m just glad that no one got hurt.

“That’s an odd way to watch baseball,” he continued. “The whole thing was, well, different.”

Bruney and Kennedy felt the same way.

“It was definitely different,” Bruney said. “The first inning was weird because I’m never out there that early.”

“I’m not used to coming into a game that’s already started,” Kennedy explained. “It was really different.”

That’s the best way to describe a loss that felt like a win before the first pitch was thrown.

“The most important thing is that Posada is going to be okay,” Javier said. “But tonight I want something different: A win.”

4 comments:

Donna said...

Hearing the good news about Jorge was a huge relief for me as well.

Henry said...

Once the bats come to life this team is going to be tough. I feel good about the rest of the year. The pitching has been good.

JoeyBoy said...

A win would be nice, but I hear it might rain in KC.

Olivia said...

That was a great win!