Friday, January 5, 2007

The Rocket

There is a lot to like about a trade that brings the Yankees: even more young pitchers in Ross Ohlendorf and Steven Jackson, a solid Major League reliever in Luis Vizcaino, and a young shortstop in Alberto Gonzalez. The most intriguing part of the deal is that it could lead to acquiring the greatest pitcher of his generation, and maybe the greatest pitcher of any generation in Roger Clemens.

I don’t know where Clemens pitches or even if he pitches this year. I do know that if he wants to pitch, I want him on my team. I don’t care if he is 44, 54 or 64. If he agrees to come, he will do the job. On the mound there is no give, no quit and no fear in that man. Yeah, I want him back on my team.

I was hanging around the player’s gate after Clemens won his last regular-season game in 2003. He came over and signed some autographs and I remember thinking, “This is as close as I’ll ever get to greatness.”

Now, maybe, I’ll get another chance.

No comments: