Thursday, May 29, 2008

Coming Along Nicely

Javier from Walton Avenue brushed a hand along his upper lip and smiled.

“It’s coming along nicely,” he said.

“Now you’re growing a mustache?” someone fired across the 2 train this morning.

“Yeah,” Javier said. “I’m changing our luck.”

“Jason Giambi is hammering the ball now that he has a ‘stache,” someone said. “What are you doing?”

Javier winked.

“It’s making me a better fan,” he said. “I can clap harder and cheer louder. They heard me in Baltimore last night.”

“You went to Baltimore?” someone asked.

“No,” Javier said. “I was in the Bronx, but they still heard me in Baltimore. They really got an earful when Giambi’s homer landed.

“I’m gonna keep the mustache as long as he’s hitting and we’re winning,” Javier continued. “Damon, Duncan and Joba are growing them now and I heard they even tried to talk Jeter into joining them.”

“Not Jeter?” someone shot.

Another smile spread across Javier’s face.

“Not yet.”

3 comments:

Pete said...

I am glad this is working for Giambi. He can grow “handlebars” if he keeps hitting like this.

Donna said...

I can’t imagine Derek Jeter with a mustache. No matter how hard I try I just can’t see it. Thankfully, I don’t think we will ever see it.

DMan said...

Giambi looks a bit like an adult film star.

But if it works, it works!