Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Melky Play

This thought was buried in the midst of Chien-Ming Wang’s bid for a perfect game on Saturday, but now is a good time to bring it up because there is never a bad time for a fun baseball story.

In that game, which was dominated by Wang’s sinker, Melky Cabrera hit a slow roller up the first-base line in the third inning. As always, he was running like a pack of wolves was snapping at his heels and got to the bag at the same time as Richie Sexson and Jeff Weaver. Cutting between them he stumbled, collided with Weaver and landed in a heap. Safe.

I worried for a moment, but then I saw Melky smile and hop to his feet. Around the neighborhood he has been tagged “Rubber Man” for his bouncy style and fearless play. Later in the inning the scoreboard flashed:
Scorer’s Decision
Melky Play: Base Hit

Everyone should play like Melky.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Todd, Your post about Wang's attempt at a perfect game brought me back to something I've been thinking about lately: pitcher empathy. Lately I've been having trouble watching games because of that emotional tie connecting the viewer and the pitcher. It could be any pitcher for any team (even Pedro Martinez in his Red Sox days)- if the pitcher is doing poorly, I can't help but feel really sorry for him, and I end up turning off the TV. Maybe it's the way the pitcher seems so alone on the mound, or the way the cameras scrutinize his face. Does pitcher empathy ever interfere with your enjoyment of a game?

Jessica Lee said...

Everytimes I see Melky playing in the game,he always let me laugh and smile even though he will make some rookie mistakes.

Todd Drew said...

Catherine,
That is a very interesting point. Personally, I have never felt empathy for a pitcher or any ballplayer. If they are on my team, I believe they will get the next out or make the play or get the hit. I can’t imagine thinking they wouldn’t.

I would never feel sorry for an opponent. The next time the Yankees match up against Pedro Martinez, I want to score and score and score… You can never beat an opponent badly enough.

That said, I like Pedro. I think he is a great person and a tough competitor. I would never want anything bad to happen to him, but I want to beat him. He wants to beat the Yankees. We’ll settle it on the field.

You sound like a kind and caring person. That is great, but no matter how good your curveball is, I’m glad Mike Mussina is getting the start tonight.

Ben said...

Things are getting lively over here. I like it. There was a great profile of Pedro and his hometown in the Times a couple years ago that made me like him, too.

Todd Drew said...

Ben,
That was a very good story in the Times. Pedro is a kind, caring person who does a lot of good for a lot of people. He is also one of the toughest, nastiest pitchers I’ve ever seen. He can separate what he is on and off the field as well as any player.