Friday, November 23, 2007

On The Floor

Jon showed up at Juan Carlos’s coffee cart looking a bit worn and tired this morning.

“What happened to you?” Javier asked.

“I was given a ‘Great Honor’ at Thanksgiving dinner,” Jon said.

“I don’t see a World Series ring and you aren’t carrying a trophy,” Javier said. “So what the heck was it?”

“I got to carve the turkey,” Jon said.

“That’s no big deal,” Javier scoffed.

“It is when you’ve never carved anything before,” Jon snapped. “They put me at the head of the table and nine hungry people were staring at me. I was a little nervous and I’d had a few beers and, well, the whole damn turkey ended up on the floor.”

“What did you do?” Javier asked.

Jon stood up extra straight and said, “I looked at them and said, “At least there’s only 86 days until pitchers and catchers report.

“We didn’t have any turkey,” he continued, “but everyone was on the floor laughing.”

2 comments:

Henry said...

Wow, the same thing almost happened to me once. If I ever do drop the turkey I will use that line!

Todd Drew said...

Yeah, it’s a good line.