Thursday, November 1, 2007

Box Score

I hope Mike Lupica checked his line in the box score this morning.

They can be fun to look at after a good day and Lupica had a very good Wednesday. Two columns in The Daily News: A decent one on Joe Torre going to Los Angeles and a solid, two-RBI single on Brian Cashman.

1 AB - 1 R - 1 H - 2 RBI - 1 BB.

The Cashman column – Man Taming The Bronx Zoo – may not have been groundbreaking journalism, but it was a glimpse of what Lupica once was and could be again.

It all came down to one great quote from the Yankee General Manager:

“I don’t give a s--- about how the decisions I’m making might impact me. Just how those decisions impact the New York Yankees. I’m not here to keep my job. I’m not here to save my job. I’m here to do my job.”

Jimmy Breslin once revealed the secret of journalism:

“You’ve got to chase, chase, chase, and chase. And then you might find something that really gives the reader a lift and a jolt. That guarantees they’ll come back tomorrow and that’s the f---in’ ballgame.”

Lupica played a good ballgame yesterday.

1 comment:

Henry said...

You are right. That was a good column. I just looked back to make sure Lupica wrote it. It was out of character for him. I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt if he keeps putting out stuff like that.