Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Baseball Is Back

Sometimes you’ve just got to be honest with yourself.

It took me a few days, but I’ve finally accepted the fact that I’m thrilled with my baseball team. It didn’t make much sense at first – losing our manager and our cleanup hitter – but now it’s clear.

I’m happy and excited because we have a ballclub and not a drama club.

The Daily News ran a cover yesterday that said: Bronx Zoo II. It sold a few newspapers, but it couldn’t have been further from the truth. The Zoo is gone. It’s headed for Disneyland or Disney World or The City by the Bay or someplace else that’s a million miles from this neighborhood.

The Yankees – from the Steinbrenner family to Brian Cashman to Joe Girardi – have a clear direction and it’s all about building the best team.

Baseball is back in the Bronx and it feels good.

5 comments:

Donna said...

I’m glad that I am not the only one. I have not been this excited about the Yankees in a long time. This all feels right.

Pete said...

So long to the overbearing personality and hello to putting together a great team. Let’s Go Yanks!

Fatalah said...

First time caller, I'm new to your blog.

Yesterday a friend gave my his condolences for everything happening to my Yankees.

I told him,"I'm not sad-- I feel naked. I feel scared because it's back to playing baseball. It's back to being a baseball team. Baseball is back."

Your blog took the words right out of my mouth.

Todd Drew said...

Fatalah,
Thanks for stopping by. We’re excited about the 2008 Yankees around here. I’m glad you’re with us.

Ben said...

Todd, very nicely put. I'll miss Torre -- and I'll be secretly pulling for the Dodgers out west -- but I have to say, I was oddly relieved about ARod. And Girardi is just the guy to handle the young pitchers.