Saturday, March 15, 2008

Nobody’s Perfect

Phil Hughes took a step forward yesterday. He gave up some hits and got some outs without his best stuff. His string of perfect innings was broken, but that doesn’t really matter.

“It was just one of those days that you’ve got to battle through.” Hughes said. “It’s better to get it out of the way now than in the regular season.

“I’ve been able to put my fastball where I wanted so far this spring,” Hughes continued. “It just wasn’t there today. Sometimes I was missing by a little bit, but other times I missed by a lot. It was tough.”

Hughes learned something about getting through tough games.

“I think I just felt too good,” Hughes explained. “I was really overthrowing. The ball came out of my hand real good; I just wasn't throwing it for strikes.”

Not being perfect is sometimes the best way to move forward.

3 comments:

Henry said...

It is a lot easier to be patient with young pitchers than it is with old pitchers.

JoeyBoy said...

I love the makeup of this staff.

Jason from The Heartland said...

Good post. I'm not worried about Hughes, or any of the young pitchers (Joba, Kennedy) for that matter, even though Joba and Kennedy had their own rough patches saturday. Pitching is an inexact science that takes time to become good at. The kids will get there. As much as anything, I'm impressed with their diligence and work ethic. Those qualities tell me they'll be fine.

Keep up the good work.