Friday, August 3, 2007

Truth Telling

There are a lot of people with a lot of opinions on baseball these days. But the only opinions that really matter come from baseball people.

Bobby Abreu talked about batting slumps and losing streaks a few weeks ago:

“Everybody is going to struggle at some point in the season. The important thing is to work through it and stay together as a team.”

Roger Clemens addressed a second-inning error in yesterday’s game:

“Robbie (Cano) is playing his tail off, but that’s going to happen. You can’t worry about it. I need to take a deep breath and execute a pitch to get us out of it. I’m just disappointed that I couldn’t do it.”

Joe Torre discussed Kyle Farnsworth’s struggles:

“There’s a good arm there; he knows how to pitch. We just need to get him more comfortable. I still believe Farnsworth is going to be a contributor to this.”

There are plenty of people that think they know more about hitting than Abreu and more about pitching than Clemens and Farnsworth combined and everyone thinks they know more about managing this team than Torre.

I’m not one of those people.

I believe that the truth comes from those who play the game and not those who talk about it.

I’ll stick with the words of Abreu and Clemens and Torre.

4 comments:

Ben said...

Todd, I wonder how you would decribe the job of sports journalist -- or whether you think there's a need for journalists in sports. I'd probably describe the player quotes you highlight as cliches. Occasionally a player says something interesting -- Sparky Lyle's book is a classic, and Lou Piniella is unpredictable. And sometimes cliches contain wisdom. But I'd rather read Roger Angell, or listen to Tim McCarver, than watch a post-game news conference.

Todd Drew said...

Ben,
I want a journalist to give me quotes from ballplayers, coaches, scouts, etc. They have the inside access that the rest of us don’t.

I’m not interested in the opinion of a sports columnist/talk show host/blogger that doesn’t know anything about the game. Too many of them simply don’t have the will to understand the game and the men who play.

Baseball is hard. I once heard a player describe it as “pain.” Baseball players are in pain every single day. Fouling balls off their foot, sliding, diving, running into walls. A pitcher's arm hurts in a way the rest of us can’t understand. Many have trouble sleeping because they can’t settle in a comfortable position.

Joe Torre hobbles around in pain because of what he gave to this game so when people that don’t even have the decency to understand their subject pop off with opinions, it bothers me.

Anyone who booed Kyle Farnsworth yesterday, either, didn’t watch the pitches he threw or didn’t know what they were watching.

I once had an editor tell me: “The only thing you have to know as a journalist is that you know nothing.”

Talk to those who know: That’s what I expect from a journalist.

Ross said...

"Anyone who booed Kyle Farnsworth yesterday, either, didn’t watch the pitches he threw or didn’t know what they were watching."

Wow, I totally have to disagree. Kyle Farnsworth is being paid over 10 million dollars to be a competent relief pitcher for the Yankees (his bloated ERA and WHIP tell you he hasn't been close to reliable). It wouldn't be fair to hate Farnsworth alone for being bad. But it is fair to hate him for the way he conducts himself. I know you read Pete Abraham so you know how nasty he can be to reporters and to others in the clubhouse. He whined to Torre about playing time even though he had been nothing short of awful this year and didn't deserve to pitch in big situations. Posada had words with him after he threw a fastball that smacked Posada's wrist instead of the slider/off-speed pitch he was suppossed to throw. Yesterday all he had to do was pitch 1 inning and keep the Yankees in the game. Instead he gave up 2 homeruns, continuing his pattern of shaky pitching. He deserved ALL OF THE BOOS.

Todd Drew said...

Ross,
Your opinion seems to be that of most. I just don’t agree.