Monday, August 25, 2008

Getting A Grip

Darrell Rasner’s pain was obvious. It was cut deeply into his face when he walked off the mound in the fourth inning of yesterday’s game.

Every pitcher has worn that face. It is frustration and anger and probably a little hate, too. It makes you want to yell and quit the game and maybe even punch something.

“I’m disgusted with myself,” Rasner told reporters later. “I just couldn’t get anything to work. It was like I’d never pitched before.”

But he can’t wait to pitch again.

“I’ll be better next time,” Rasner promised. “I have to be.”

Jim Bouton said it best:

“You spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball; and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time.”

4 comments:

Ron W. said...

That Jim Bouton quote is one of my all time favorites.

Olivia said...

I know Rasner has had rough starts and there are people thinking he should be out of the rotation. I hope he gets another chance and wins some games because I think he deserves it.

michael o. allen said...

That's a good story, Todd.

JoeyBoy said...

That says it all, man.