Friday, August 1, 2008

Finding Religion

My friend Javier found the quote on a calendar.

“It was one of those where you tear off each day,” he explained. “I saw it on the foreman’s desk and it was pretty late in the day so I did him a favor and ripped it off.”

Javier pulled the slip of paper from his pocket, unfolded it and cleared his throat.

“These are the words of second baseman Jerry Coleman,” Javier explained. “‘The Yankees were not our team, they were our religion.’”

Pudge Rodriguez feels the same way.

“I love to play in New York,” Rodriguez said on his first day as a Yankee. “It’s a dream for me to be here.

“This is a big deal for me and my family,” he continued. “It’s a thrill and an honor for me to wear this uniform.”

Jerry Coleman got it right.

The Yankees are a religion.

2 comments:

JoeyBoy said...

So now I can tell my mother that I go to church pretty much every day?

Donna said...

Yes, Joeyboy. You are a clean living, church going guy. Your mother will be proud.