Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The Debate

The debate started at Juan Carlos’s coffee cart and it continued down the Grand Concourse to 149th Street and on to the 2 train.

“Mike Mussina is gonna come back and pitch next year,” said Javier from Walton Avenue. “How could he walk away after leading this staff and winning 20 games?”

“Because he wants to go out on top,” answered Jose from Jerome Avenue. “This is the perfect ending for Mussina.”

Javier threw up his hands.

“There are no perfect endings,” he shot. “Maybe you gotta be as old as me to really understand that. Mussina has had a great career and he just finished one of his best seasons. I’m sure he feels satisfied right now. He probably thinks that feeling will last the rest of his life, but it will barely make it through the winter.”

Javier shook his head.

“If anyone has got the chance to be a big leaguer for even one more day they better damn well take it,” he fired. “Walking away from something that special may not be a crime, but it should be.”

Jose had nothing to add.

2 comments:

Ron W. said...

I bet Mussina comes back. I think he just needs some time.

Donna said...

I have a good feeling about Moose coming back. I also have my fingers, toes, legs, arms, and eyes crossed.