Saturday, October 25, 2008

Watch Stories

The 2 train was running local this morning, but Marcus from Jerome Avenue didn’t seem to mind.

“I’m just enjoying the ride,” he explained. “The beauty of Saturdays is that there’s no rush to get to work because everyone else is sleeping in anyway.”

Marcus sells watches in Battery Park.

“I know it sounds shady,” Marcus said, “but really it’s not. My watches look like a Rolex and they work even better. The best part is that they’re only 20 bucks.”

And Marcus slips a story in with every watch.

“Most of the people are going to see the Statue of Liberty or Ellis Island,” Marcus said. “They are visiting the city and want more than a watch to take home with them.”

Marcus smiled and winked.

“I give ‘em all a good story,” he said. “I like to tell ‘em about the time I saw Jeter outside Lincoln Center or A-Rod walking on 59th Street near Mickey Mantle’s place. If they want my best story I show ‘em the napkin that Johnny Damon signed when he was eating at a pizza joint on Stone Street.

“I’ve also got stories about the Mets,” Marcus continued. “I once saw Carlos Delgado in Midtown, but I didn’t say anything. I saw Pedro too and I said something, but it wasn’t very nice.”

“Your stories about the Yankees are better,” someone said.

“That’s just the way it is with me,” Marcus admitted. “I have a good story about seeing Charlie Sheen on Broadway and he was wearing a Yankees hat.”

Marcus stopped for a moment and then asked:

“Hey, are you gonna buy a watch or what?”

3 comments:

Henry said...

So did you buy a watch from Marcus?

Todd Drew said...

Of course I did, Henry.

Henry said...

Good man.