Thursday, July 24, 2008

All The Answers

Mike Mussina is comfortable with the questions these days.

And why wouldn’t he be?

He has all the answers.

“What do you think about already having more wins than last year?” reporters asked after he pushed his record to 13-6.

“This is a different year and I’m a different pitcher,” Mussina explained. “Physically I couldn’t do what I needed to do last year. This year I can.”

“What was working for you today?” reporters asked.

“Pretty much everything,” Mussina said. “I could throw the ball where I wanted and was able to stay in good counts. That’s exactly what you’d like to do in every game.”

Mussina had thrown 99 pitches and there were two outs in the seventh inning when coach Dave Eiland jogged to the mound with a question.

“Are you afraid of 100?” Mussina shot.

“Do you want to pitch to this guy?” Eiland asked with Denard Span coming to the plate.

“Yeah, let’s go,” Mussina said. “Get out of here.”

Mussina threw a curveball to Span for a called third strike to finish the inning. The crowd in the Bronx left no question how they felt about his effort.

Mussina smiled when reporters asked him about that.

“When you can walk off the field and feel good about what you’ve done, it’s fun.”

4 comments:

Donna said...

Mussina’s performance has been amazing. No one thought he would be the leader of this pitching staff, but that is certainly what he is now.

Ron W. said...

Todd,
When everyone else thought Mussina was finished, I remember you writing stories that made me believe in him. I went back and found one from the winter and two from April for anyone who missed them.

http://tinyurl.com/6qcx5p

http://tinyurl.com/6ynltq

http://tinyurl.com/6qcx5p

JoeyBoy said...

That’s a cool new photo with your profile. Did you take it?

Todd Drew said...

Joeyboy,
My wife took the photo. She is a very good photographer. She is also beautiful and brilliant and caring and a great Yankees fan.