Thursday, July 17, 2008

The Usual

Javier always orders The Usual.

He rattles it off:

“Two eggs over easy with home fries, rye toast and coffee.”

A comfortable grin settles on his face.

“That’s been my order for years,” he explains. “Sometimes I think about changing it up. Maybe getting pancakes or oatmeal or those fancy waffles with strawberries and whipped cream.

“But I always stick with The Usual,” Javier continues. “Some people think it’s boring, but I like the consistency.”

He pauses for a moment and then adds:

“I was just reading that the Yankees are looking for the same thing.”

Javier scans the newspaper and reads some quotes:

“Derek Jeter: ‘We need to play with more consistency.’”

“Alex Rodriguez: ‘It’s all about being consistent with our approach.’”

“Jorge Posada: ‘We’ve done some good things, but not consistently.’”

Javier flashes a big smile.

“They should start with breakfast,” he says. “Come by the Crown Diner and I’ll order The Usual for everyone.”


JoeyBoy said...

Yeah, some consistency would be nice.

Ron W. said...

I really think they will get the bats going in the second half of the season. Cano needs to be a consistent producer the rest of the way. Melky needs to be better also.

Henry said...

I like eggs, too.