Thursday, July 17, 2008

The Usual

Javier always orders The Usual.

He rattles it off:

“Two eggs over easy with home fries, rye toast and coffee.”

A comfortable grin settles on his face.

“That’s been my order for years,” he explains. “Sometimes I think about changing it up. Maybe getting pancakes or oatmeal or those fancy waffles with strawberries and whipped cream.

“But I always stick with The Usual,” Javier continues. “Some people think it’s boring, but I like the consistency.”

He pauses for a moment and then adds:

“I was just reading that the Yankees are looking for the same thing.”

Javier scans the newspaper and reads some quotes:

“Derek Jeter: ‘We need to play with more consistency.’”

“Alex Rodriguez: ‘It’s all about being consistent with our approach.’”

“Jorge Posada: ‘We’ve done some good things, but not consistently.’”

Javier flashes a big smile.

“They should start with breakfast,” he says. “Come by the Crown Diner and I’ll order The Usual for everyone.”

3 comments:

JoeyBoy said...

Yeah, some consistency would be nice.

Ron W. said...

I really think they will get the bats going in the second half of the season. Cano needs to be a consistent producer the rest of the way. Melky needs to be better also.

Henry said...

I like eggs, too.