Thursday, September 20, 2007

Rock

Mariano Rivera played rock against Scott Moore’s scissors.

It was a darting, two-seamed rock that clipped the plate for a called third strike. Yankees win.

It wasn’t easy because one-run games never are and wrapping up Andy Pettitte’s 200th victory added to the pressure.

“I wanted to get this save for Andy,” Rivera said.

Rivera has been the rock at the end of the bullpen forever. He has saved everything from Roger Clemens’ 300th win to three-straight World Series.

“I wouldn’t want anyone else closing out my games,” Pettitte said. “He’s absolutely amazing.”

The ninth inning got interesting when Nick Markakis blooped a one-out double to rightfield. After getting Kevin Millar to fly out, Rivera walked Aubrey Huff and Ramon Hernandez to load the bases.

“It’s a one-run lead and you have the heart of the lineup there,” Rivera explained. “I was trying to be careful. When the situation was bases loaded, I didn’t know the guy who was hitting (Moore) so I’ll take my chances with him.”

The chances were: rock, paper, scissors.

Rock dulls scissors. Game over.

1 comment:

Donna said...

Clever post. Mariano seemed to know what he wanted to do. He took the kid to school.